Do you want to send an electronic invoice (e-invoice) to your client at the central government? On this webpage we give you some tips.
Your client can make additional arrangements with you on e-invoicing.
Do I have to send e-invoices?
Yes, the central government has made e-invoicing mandatory for all assignments, orders, and contracts.
What is an e-invoice?
An e-invoice looks like a normal invoice, but it contains codes as well. These codes are structured in a fixed manner. This way, the invoice can be processed directly in the administration of the client.
Note that a pdf file is not an e-invoice.
How can I send an e-invoice?
You can send an e-invoice to the central government:
- via an accounting programme
- via a service provider
- via Digipoort
- via the supplier portal (available in English)
It depends on your situation which way suits you best. You can find more information on the e-invoicing helpdesk’s Dutch-language website.
Which requirements must my e-invoice fulfil?
To process an e-invoice it is important that the right data have been entered in the correct way. You can find more information on which data an e-invoice to the Dutch central government contains at Guideline Basisfactuur Rijk. For instance:
- Order number/reference (enter this in the OrderReference field)
- Organisation Identification Number (Organisatie-identificatienummer, OIN, in Dutch)
You can also consult the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration’s invoice requirements (in Dutch).
Incorrect invoices, for instance incomplete invoices, will not be processed and therefore not paid. If your invoice is not quite correct, you will receive an error message in your billing system or a notification via e-mail.
Do you have any questions about e-invoicing the central government?
You can call the e-invoicing helpdesk: 088 042 4400, from monday till friday, between 8:30 en 17:00 hours.
You can also use the form ('contactformulier' in Dutch) on the contact page.
Do you have other questions?
- Do you have questions on for instance the status of the payment, the order number, or other substantive question on the invoice? Your client can help you.
- For questions on accounting software (for example problems logging in, or technical questions) you can consult the supplier.